Islamic art- metal
Metal art is one of the most original disciplines of craft arts and has an extensive and active history in Iranian art. The demarcation of prehistoric periods by the various metals demonstrates the importance of this art, as do valuable metal works that have been displayed in various museums around the world and are still of interest to artists, craftsmen and researchers today. Research in the field of metal art involves recognizing and understanding the history of art, culture, science and technology.
Due to its unique and special nature, metal plays an essential role in society and is one of the most important aspects of making and producing works of architecture, fine arts and craft arts. Recognizing the historical works of art in this field and dealing with its contemporary manifestations as a part of Iranian-Islamic identity is one of the most important reasons for holding university courses. Presenting creative works in the field of metal art while preserving that identity requires the appropriate conditions for progress. Undergraduate and graduate courses form an important part of the solution to these challenges.
The study of metal art at the undergraduate level is one of the educational and research courses offered at the Tabriz University of Islamic Art. Undergraduate students will have important experiences in a variety of methods of making and decorating metal art during their 4-year studies, while passing the units offered in the process of identifying and evaluating metal arts and industries. Graduates of this field will gain specialization by conceiving, designing and executing projects in various techniques, including cold hammering, metal casting, engraving enameling, engraving, and jewelry making.
During the 2-year master's degree, which completes the undergraduate course, students receive research training in the arts and metal industries in addition to the workshop units.
Since 2010, Tabriz University of Islamic Art has accepted undergraduate students in the field of Islamic art majoring in metal, one year after the first masters’ students were admitted in 2009. With special facilities and experienced professors from all over the country, this university offers training in most of the methods of making and decorating metal. Introducing and identifying various methods of making metal in historical and contemporary periods.
Course titles include the following:
- Correct identification of the theoretical foundations of metal art and presenting solutions for its application in works of art.
- Efforts to provide technical innovations in the field of metal art while preserving their originality and identity.
- Creating suitable conditions for the realization of growth and creativity in the field of metal art.
- Provide practical solutions to create a link between art and metal industries and entrepreneurship issues to create jobs and strengthen its presence in the international community.
- Preventing the degeneration of the surviving artistic heritages and preserving them as prominent manifestations of Iranian culture
- Efforts to recognize the eternal characteristics and values of art and metal industries in Iran and use them in presenting new works of art.
- Evaluation of metal works of art in the contemporary period to achieve students in different ways and styles and to show the art and industry of Iranian metalwork in international societies.
The Faculty of craft Arts tries to hold most of the courses effective in advancing the mentioned goals in accordance with international principles and standards of holding metal arts training courses. The most important courses of this field include:
• History of art and metal industries in Iran and around the world
• Materials and tools recognition in metal
• Molding & Forming
• Cold hammer