Islamic art- glass
Glass art is one of the foundational disciplines of industrial arts and one of the most extensive and active fields of art throughout the history of Iran. This 4,500-year-old manifestation of this art is among the many antiquities that have been exhibited in various museums around the world and is still of interest to artists, craftspeople, and researchers today. Research in the field of glass art is about recognizing and understanding the history of art, culture, science and technology.
Glass art plays an essential role in society today, and thus is one of the most important branches of making and producing works of art in various fields related to architecture, fine arts, and applied arts. Recognizing the historical works of art in this field and dealing with its contemporary manifestations as a part of Iranian-Islamic identity is one of the most important reasons for holding university courses. Presenting creative works in the field of glass art while preserving that identity requires the appropriate conditions for progress. Undergraduate and graduate courses form an important part of the solution to these challenges.
The study of glass art at the undergraduate level is one of the educational and research courses offered at the Tabriz University of Islamic Art. Students will gain experience with various methods of making glass works of art during their 4-year studies, while passing the units offered in the process of identifying and evaluating glass. Graduates will work through the concept, design and implementation of blowing glass, glass shaping methods with an electric kiln, glass mosaic, glass cutting and decorating, glass casting, and working with direct flame to achieve specialization in their field.
In 2005, Tabriz University of Islamic Arts accepted a student in the field of Islamic art majoring in glass for the first time. The glass blowing workshop of this university was launched in 2013 and the first glass blowing training course was held in the university with seven undergraduate classes in glass, this university makes the most of its facilities and brings experienced professors from all over the country to offer most of the methods of making and decorating glass art.Course titles include the following- Introducing and identifying different methods of making glass works in historical and contemporary periods.
- Correct identification of the theoretical foundations of glass art and presenting solutions for its application in works of art.
- Efforts to present technical innovations in the field of glass art while preserving their originality and identity.
- Creating suitable conditions for the realization of growth and creativity in the field of glass art.
- Provide practical solutions to connect glass art and entrepreneurship issues to create jobs and strengthen its presence in the international community.
- Preventing the degeneration of the surviving artistic heritages and preserving them as prominent manifestations of Iranian culture.
- Efforts to recognize the characteristics and Essential values of glass art in Iran and use them in presenting new works of art.
- Evaluating glass works of art in the contemporary period to achieve students in different ways and styles and to show the art of Iranian glass in the international community.
The Faculty of applied Arts tries to hold most of the courses necessary to advance the mentioned goals in accordance with international principles and standards of glass art training courses. The most important courses in this degree include:
- History of glass art in Iran and around the world
- Materials and tools identification
- Molding & Forming
- Glass shaping with electric kiln
- Glass blowing
- Glass cutting and engraving
- Painting and glass decoration
- Glass mosaic
- Direct flame work
- Design and manufacture of glass kilns